Sunday 3 April 2016

Headpiece DIY

Recently I decided to switch up from the regular shoots I do and try something new. I had seen a headpiece online for sale going for $500.00! My inner DIY spirit guide came out and challenged me to do it myself!

I used my reference photo to create a high key photoshoot and I love the results! Here are the steps of how I completed this project, with success!

Step 1:  Gather materials

The supplies I used were pretty simple and could all be found at the dollar store. I bought a shark hat, styrofoam pieces (optional), faux flowers, and some beads. I ended up not using the beaded necklace in the hat, but instead, I had my model wear it for the shoot fora few photos!






Step 2: remove excess material.

I had to take off the shark teeth, eyes, and fin. This is the base of the hat and will make the hat the shape of the head so it sits nicely.




Step 3: Flower Power!

I bought a million and a half flowers for this! Ok.. well, maybe only 2 shopping bags worth. After cutting the stems with my handy dandy wire cutters the job was a lot faster from then on.

Step 4: A lot of hot glue... and a few burns...

Using hot glue I added flower after flower; strategically placing them to fill the hat and create a nice shape. WARNING: I burned myself pretty badly here! I am not surprised because I seem to dive into each project full force, leading to at least one injury. Do as I say, not as I do!!

Step 5: Foam time.

I added some styrofoam to the inside of the flower bunch. I wanted to make the hat very large! Adding the extra material to put the flowers into to glue them, helped very nicely! I recommend this if you want to create a very dramatic or an avant garde look.


Later that week I had a shoot scheduled and we put the head piece to the test! My model's name is Natalie and she really worked her magic through the lens.

I really had to rearrange the flowers to get them where I wanted. I knew I was going to shoot a high key photo so I made my piece all white to add some contrast. Spray paint may also help to achieve the right colour you are looking for. 


Good luck at home and leave a comment with improvements or stories of your experience!



No comments:

Post a Comment